Ruiling Kang

Graduate Student, Survey and Data Science Program
Ruiling Kang

What is your area of research or expertise that you bring to the Landscapes collaboration?

I’m a grad student in the Survey and Data Science program, focusing on processing and collecting data from diverse sources to uncover insights that might be elusive if we only rely on one data stream.

What do you find challenging or exciting about interdisciplinary collaboration?

Interdisciplinary collaboration it’s like being at a vibrant intellectual buffet! When I team up with folks from different fields, it’s not just about exchanging ideas—it’s like embarking on a thrilling adventure where I get to explore new territories of knowledge.

What’s one common misconception about your area of research that you’d like to dispel?

A lot of folks think data science is just about crunching numbers and analyzing info. But hold up! There’s a whole lot more to it. Before we even get to the analysis part, we’re diving into sampling, doing database gymnastics, debugging collection processes… It’s like we’re wearing multiple hats, from engineering to social science and even user experience testing. There’s a whole world of work behind the scenes!

How did you become interested in structural racism and health?

I’m an international student, stepping into a whole new culture.  The theories and stories I once only encountered in books suddenly became tangible in my everyday life. As I continue to navigate this multicultural landscape, I’ve come to believe even more strongly in the importance of fostering a society that’s both healthier and more equitable for all.

What’s the academic path that brought you to where you are now, and what are your plans after graduation?

I began my academic journey studying Computer Science and Economics during my undergrad days. Then, I jumped into a master’s program in Survey Data Science. It felt like mixing my tech savvy with the insights of social science. Now, I’m not just focused on what machines generate—I’m delving into the human aspect of data. After graduation, my goal is to see our project through from conception to completion, and then continue to devote myself to more research.

If you had the opportunity to get one question answered by an omniscient being, what would you ask? (this is meant to be a lighthearted question–we’re trying to get to the heart of what you are most curious about, whether within your field of research or beyond! Feel free to think big!)

How can we blend academia with business for a winning combo? I believe it’ll create some magical chemistry!

Anything else you want to share?

I joined the team during my first year as a graduate student. Throughout my time here, I not only observed the research progress step by step but my growth was also witnessed by the team members. It feels like more than just a team, it’s like a family where we can always rely on each other for assistance and answers. I am deeply grateful for this supportive environment. Thank y’all!!